Vitamin C is a vitamin that helps to prevent free radicals, slows down the degeneration of cells within the body. It’s a nutrient that the body can’t create on its own, must be obtained only from the food you eat, It is found in fruits and vegetables. Therefore, we should regularly get vitamin C with the appropriate dosage stipulated by the body.
Vitamin C or ascorbic acid is a water-soluble vitamin that the body cannot create on its own. We only get vitamin C from the food eaten. Fruits and vegetables are considered foods rich in vitamin C. It is found in citrus fruits such as oranges and lemons, berry family fruits, many vegetables contain vitamin C, such as chili peppers, sweet peppers, broccoli, tomatoes, cauliflower, green bean, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and spinach.
Vitamin C is a vitamin that is beneficial to the body in many ways. Helps to absorb minerals and nutrients. It is an antioxidant. Helps prevent free radicals within the body. Reduces the risk of developing serious diseases. Helps repair and growth of tissue, wound healing, It also contributes to the formation of collagen. Helps brighten skin.
Benefits of vitamin C on the elderly body.
Vitamin C plays an important role. to the internal organs of the body to function normally. and help prevent the development of diseases such as:
- Removes toxins from the body. People who smoke and drink alcohol regularly have more vitamin C needs than the average person. Because vitamin C is taken against antioxidants that increase from toxins from cigarette smoke and alcohol.
- Improves immunity and relieves cold symptoms, It stimulates the process of destroying the pathogens of leukocytes. Helps cells in the body to adhere well together, therefore, it prevents the virus from destroying the cells. It also helps to restore cells that have been destroyed by the virus. It helps to prevent and alleviate colds.
- Inhibits the process of cancer in the body. From the anti-oxidant properties of vitamin C., This prevents cells from free radicals, which are carcinogenic, from harming cells in the body.
- Helps to brighten and smooth skin, It helps to strengthen collagen and antioxidants. It also reduces the formation of melanin. This helps to slow down wrinkles and reduce dark spots on the skin and on the face, and helps heal wounds quickly.
- Prevention of fat problems in blood vessels and vascular system. It breaks down cholesterol and removes it. This reduces cholesterol levels in blood vessels and reduces the risk of coronary artery disease.
- Helps strengthen teeth and gums. If you are deficient in vitamin C, the dented teeth will be decayed. Thin enamel, corrosion, swollen gums, redness, inflammation, weak root canals.
- How much vitamin C will make enough?
Recommended daily intake of vitamin C If you just need health care, Taking vitamin C 500 – 1,000 mg per day, It can help to maintain a healthy enough level of immunity to cope with diseases and pollution around you or pathogens that are spreading. People who are physically weak, elderly, or those who are recovering from illness, unhealthy health should be given vitamin C. 2,000 mg per day to strengthen immunity.
- Does vitamin C actually help prevent pathogens?
Vitamin C can not prevent pathogens or have a reduced risk of infection. Vitamin C does not help prevent any disease. But in terms of the immune system, Vitamin C contributes to the strength of leukocytes in the body. It’s like a soldier who keeps the pathogens from entering the body.
- Absorption of vitamin C
The absorption of vitamin C of the body has a saturated point. Excessive exposure to vitamin C, the rest of the absorption is excreted in combination with sweat and urine. The amount of vitamin C absorption depends on the amount eaten at each time. The body absorbs vitamin C better. When taking in small quantities at a time, and gradually eat to the fullest amount of the body’s needs.
In addition, Vitamin C is also beneficial for the elderly. Patients and those who want to be healthy. Eating to get enough vitamins to meet your body’s needs is not only choose the type of food that contains a lot of vitamin C, but The method of cooking is also important because vitamin C is easily decomposed when exposed to air and heat.
How to cook to prevent the loss of vitamin C.
- Cut the large pieces of vegetables not too small, as they are often more likely to be destroyed by oxygen.
- Take the shortest time to cook vegetables. If you cook for a long time, the more vitamin C you lose.
- Some vegetable foods must be eaten as soon as they are peeled, such as cabbage, cantaloupe.
- Use as little water as possible to cook, or change the steaming method instead.
- Cook fresh vegetables. Without keeping it for long. Many vegetables that can be eaten fresh should be eaten fresh.
- If you cook with boiling, wait for boiling water first, then add the vegetables. Close the lid tightly to reduce exposure to oxygen.
Does eating too much vitamin C have a negative effect on health?
Eating vitamin C does not harm the body. If you eat in moderation, Constantly taking too much vitamin C can cause side effects such as frequent urination. Abdominal discomfort, abdominal pain, diarrhea.
What is the right time to eat vitamin C?
In fact, eating vitamin C can be eaten at any time. However, it is most often recommended to eat at the same time as a meal or after a meal. To help the body absorb vitamin C better and prevent irritation that may occur with the digestive system.