Osteoporosis is a disease that occurs slowly and has no prior symptoms. Until the bone mass is thinly Causing the bone to break easily When receiving a light bump or fall. Especially if you are elderly If there is a bone fracture, it’s will greatly increase the repair and recovery of the bone not as good as before.
Therefore, the elderly with osteoporosis. It’s important to know how to keep yourself safe. The most common risk of fractures is the forearm, spine, and hip bone. And in the elderly themselves They often have muscle weakness, and vision or ear problems. Therefore, there is a risk of falling easily.
The way to behave when having osteoporosis is exercise. And doing activities that enhance balance to strengthen bone mass, muscle exercises, joints, balance training to prevent falling. Because most older people, their balance is not as good as the young. Therefore, exercise should be at least 3-5 times a week for 20-30 minutes per day by doing the following.
- Strengthen muscle exercises to reduce stiffness in joints
- Choose the exercise that puts on weight to stimulate bone formation, such as walking, running, cycling.
- Strengthen stability and maintain bone mass volume. It is recommended to practice balance in various types of exercises, stimulating the system of sensing by standing and closing your eyes for a moment.
In addition, Chinese boxing, tai chi, qigong, or dancing is a good choice. Those who exercise with these activities regularly reduce the rate of falling significantly and also strengthen the leg muscles.
In addition, taking good care of yourself in daily life In order to reduce bone mass as slowly as possible And reduce the risk of danger from various accidents can be done by:
- Should consult a doctor. When having to take any medication That makes you dizzy, lose balance, or sleepy more than usual to adjust the drug level or arrange a time to take drugs.
- Should wear clothes that are arms – short legs. To prevent accidents from stumbling and falling.
- Wear shoes that fit on the feet, soft and lightweight.
- Should wear a support aid, for example in people with back pain. Should have stretch fabric support. Or wear ankles and wrists when performing various activities
- Move your body Do as much of the routine yourself as possible with care.
- Change your posture gradually.
- People with weak muscles Or humpback should use a cane to walk with a cane with a rubber non-slip end.
- Choose foods that strengthen bones and teeth, such as milk, dairy products, and green vegetables.
- Caregivers should install handrails in vulnerable areas such as sloping walkways, bathrooms, bedrooms, or fixed seating areas, and should be lit to provide sufficient light.
Therefore, the elderly or people who have relatives with osteoporosis. Should pay attention to details in daily life and should be treated as a habit. Because if a mistake occurs and a bone fracture occurs, recovery may not return as well or the occurrence of fractures at some important points, it can be dangerous.
Osteoporosis The silent threat of the elderly.
At present, an average of 963 million elderly people has seen annually worldwide, a sign of stepping into an aging society. The concern here is people at this age often experience a deterioration in the body’s systems which are as difficult to live as a healthy person. One of the most interesting diseases for the elderly is “Osteoporosis” which can cause disability It is also a silent threat that needs to be addressed.
Characteristics of osteoporosis
Osteoporosis is a disease in which bone mass decreases. Often occurs in women who are postmenopausal or men over 65 years of age due to an imbalance in the rate of bone formation and destruction.
Usually, the human body is constantly building and disintegrate bones and in balance. But there are some conditions that can result in abnormal bone formation and destruction.
Such as in people who have passed through menopause. Female hormones decreased. Resulting in more bone destruction and less build-up. Therefore, the overall bone mass decreases and eventually becomes osteoporosis.
Complications of osteoporosis
- The bones lose their strength. Easy fracture
- The movement has decreased. Difficult to help yourself
- Arched Back, Humpback
- Infection in the bloodstream
- Bladder infection
- Toxic Blood
- Can’t walk / disabled
- Bedsore (in the case of bed-bound patients)
Hip fracture from osteoporosis, It is a very dangerous condition. and even died. If fractures occur in the elderly, it is difficult to treat. Because broken bones in the elderly will heal slowly, There are quite a few complications, some may be fatal. Especially those who have complications with hip fracture May cause subsequent disability or death within 1-2 years
Osteoporosis treatment, The guidelines are as follows.
- Treatment with medication
- Physical therapy
Self-observation of the tendency to get osteoporosis.
- Measure height, if found to be shorter than at the age of youth or adolescence, more than 4 centimeters should see a doctor.
- Review yourself if you have easily broken bones before or not. Are there easy fractures in the family? If so, you should see a doctor for a thorough examination.
Osteoporosis risk factors
- Alcohol / Smoking
- Long-term use of steroid drugs for more than 3 months
Prevention of osteoporosis
- Eat a complete diet of 5 food groups with calcium When you get older or entering menopause.
- Exercise in a weight-bearing position such as jumping rope, running, walking.
- Avoid drinking and smoking.
- Avoid using steroid drugs for a long time.