According to the World Health Organization, the elderly and older are people aged 60 and over, both men and women. Aging is an inevitable thing for all human beings. The cells and organ systems of the elderly are changed in both shape and function in a more degenerative way, respectively. This age does not occur at the age of 60 according to the definition stipulated above.
However, the change occurs slowly, which begins with fertilization in the mother’s womb until death. This is a normal process according to nature. The performance of every organ decreases by an average of 1 percent a year at the age of about 30 years old.
Aging is something that happens naturally, can not be avoided. However, the rate of deterioration or aging of each human being is not equal. Have you ever wondered why two people of the same age are 60 years old, but one looks very old, unhealthy, poor self-help and must be a burden for others. The other one also looks like a healthy 50-year-old who can do a normal career. This is because many factors make humans old fast. – Slow, different. As follows:
- Genetic characteristics refer to the characteristics that are determined by the father- mother and can be passed on to the offspring, each family may have certain characteristics that make them look much less old, such as the structure of the face, hair color, etc. This factor cannot be changed because it has been determined since birth.
- Living in childhood and young age, such as eating habits. Exercise and substance abuse such as booze, smoking, etc. Factors in this clause can be changed. as discussed in the following details.
- Various diseases This contributes to the deterioration of the organs in the body. In particular, the chronic disease and has many complications, for example, diabetes, hypertension. For this factor, if we know from the beginning that the disease and its control can help with the deterioration of the body.
You can see that If you want to live a bright life as you enter an age, you should pay attention to health care early to prevent it from deteriorating. And even if you’re old, taking care of your health is still important to help you with aging and health. In order not to be burdened with anyone, the guidelines for their health care for the elderly to live a bright life consist of the following three principles:
The elderly have several changes that affect nutrition. This causes poor chewing of food, decreased digestion, and absorption of food in the stomach and intestines. It’s easy to cause bloating. As well as the taste and smell deteriorating, the appetite decreases. The use of nutrients is not fully utilized. These include the ability to carry fewer protein compounds, but the body accumulates a lot of fat, making it easy to gain weight. While the body uses sugar slowly, it can significantly higher blood sugar levels after meals. The risk of diabetes, including reduced bowel movements, causes constipation.
Food is essential for humans of all ages, especially the elderly. From the physical changes mentioned above. This makes it easy to be prone to malnutrition. Therefore, the elderly need to eat to get enough nutrients. However, due to the energy and nutrient needs of the elderly, it is different from many other ages. Therefore, dietary advice for the elderly should be as follows:
- Older people need less energy-intensive food because they don’t have many energy-intensive activities. Therefore, older people should eat less starchy foods such as rice, so avoid eating sugar in forms such as soft drinks. Sweet sweets or fruits such as ripe mango, durian, longan, because it makes the elderly obese and vulnerable to diabetes easily.
- Older people need protein foods as much as young people. However, it should be a quality protein and easy to digest, such as fish. Besides, eggs, milk, and soy products are a good and cheap source of protein. For elderly people with high blood lipids, 3 eggs should be eaten per week. For elderly people with hyperlipidemia, avoid eating yolks, but albumen is not limited.
- Older people need less fat, avoid animal fats and oils by using vegetable oils instead (except coconut oil and palm oil, which contains high saturated fatty acids, easily cause artery disease), and should reduce the fried foods in oil and coconut milk as it will cause high blood vessel fats and bloating.
- The elderly need more minerals, especially iron and calcium to prevent anemia and thin bones. Iron is abundant in meat and offal. Calcium is abundant in milk, small fish, and green vegetables.
- The elderly should eat all different fruits and vegetables to receive enough vitamins and minerals. Fruits and vegetables also contain fiber. Stimulates bowel function, reduces constipation.
- Elderly people should drink 6-8 glasses of clean water a day, with one drink at a time after every meal and between meals. To keep the body fresh and prevent constipation.
If the elderly can eat properly, the body will also receive enough nutrients to meet its needs. It doesn’t have to rely on expensive supplements.
It is well known that exercise is useful for all ages. This is especially true for the elderly, who have a physical transformation from the degeneration of the body, as mentioned in Part 1. It is necessary to exercise to prevent deterioration and disability of organs such as muscles and joints, heart, and lungs. Exercise also helps to be agile. It’s not easy to fall. Not too fat. Obesity is a risk factor for diabetes, high blood pressure, or hyperlipidemia. What’s more, exercise reduces stress and increases erectile dysfunction.
Once you know, exercise has several benefits. The next question is whether the elderly will be able to exercise and what kind of exercise they will be doing. How to do it? The answer is that all older people can exercise, but they have to choose the right exercise method and have the right principles. To prevent harm while exercising. For example:
- Doing exercises will help to strengthen the joints and muscles, good stability, not easy to fall, such as Chinese boxing, tai chi, etc.
- Training specific muscles will help to strengthen of the muscles, for example, the elderly with osteoarthritis should be trained to strengthen the muscles around the knees and thighs to help sustain the joints from knee pain during walking, or the elderly with spinal joints and back pain should also exercise the muscle to reduce the pain.
- A favorite sport is a fun exercise, make you meets other people, but it’s best to choose a kind that doesn’t overdo it and shouldn’t be played too seriously because it will cause the heart to work too hard in a short time and potentially harm the heart.
- Aerobic exercise is a continuous body movement exercise for 3- 5 minutes or more. This type of exercise is very useful for the elderly and helps prevent angina. But should do continuous and consistent exercise is 20- 30 minutes at a time, about 3-4 weeks. For example, jogging, fast walking, cycling, etc. Those with knee pain may choose a way to swim, also known as water treatment, to help reduce pain.
For those who have never exercised, start slowly so that the body is adaptable, and before every workout, it is necessary to stretch before and start exercising lightly as a warm-up and after the workout as needed. Do not stop immediately, but it should be slowly relaxing to prevent harm to the muscles.
Exercise can be done anytime, anywhere, but the right time for outdoor exercise should be morning or evening with mild sunlight.
Because of the mild sunlight, there are vitamin D that help to strengthen the bones and do not exercise after eating full. This can cause colic.
Exercise precautions are important to know when not to physically struggle to exercise, such as when a fever, feeling very tired, or when exercising feels abnormally tired, dizziness, Tamua, numbness, chest pain. The heart beats very strongly, it should take a break, which is based on the principle that it should not resist the nature of the body. Also, if an elderly person has a personal condition such as heart disease, It should be advised by a doctor to choose the right exercise method.
This topic is no less important than diet and exercise. If the elderly lack health care, they will have a disease easily. The principles of health care for the elderly include:
– Reduce the consumption or use of toxins such as cigarettes, alcohol, and drugs. It is known that cigarettes cause many health problems, such as emphysema, lung cancer and cancer in organs such as oral cancer, pancreatic cancer, etc. Besides, cigarettes cause blood vessels to be stenosis, paralysis, angina, heart attacks and can also cause sexual dysfunction and toxicity to close individuals. Abstaining from cigarettes will always reduce the risk of the aforementioned diseases. Even when you’re abstaining when you’re old.
For liquor or alcohol, it is a toxin. Causes dementia, heart disease, and cirrhosis. Despite studies, regularly drinking small amounts of red wine may help prevent the development of angina. However, people tend to drink more than the recommended amount, so it is recommended that if you drink alcohol regularly, you should abstain, and for older people who do not drink wine regularly, there is no need to drink.
As for the drug, many people were surprised at how the drug became toxic. The drug is useful for treating various diseases, but if it is used incorrectly or more than necessary, it can also have a detrimental effect on the body. Therefore, the drug should not be purchased on your own. Especially drugs that have not been formally inspected before. In addition, some types can be toxic if used incorrectly, such as knee painkillers – bone pain. It has an irritating effect on the stomach, can cause ulcers and gastrointestinal bleeding.
Sleep pills are numbing, lethargic, and easily spilled. Therefore, the elderly should only take the drug as prescribed by the doctor, and always consult the drug and its side effects. When visiting a doctor, always take the medication sedentary to prevent repeated dispensing or prescribing medications with side effects on the existing drug.
-Self-observation, many diseases can be cured or have a very good effect if the disease is detected at an early stage. Therefore, the elderly should pay attention to the condition of the body to see if the body has changed. For example, a lump in various ways, a chronic wound that does not heal.
Difficulty swallowing, bloating or constipation, diarrhea It is important not to think that these symptoms are due to aging and not interested. If you are unsure, consult your doctor for a timely examination.
-Annual health check-up every year, even if you feel like you’ve been healthy ever since you’re older. There is a risk of many diseases and some diseases may occur without any abnormalities at an early stage.
When the symptoms are very expressive, it may be too late. If you can follow the three principles of health care, this is food, exercise, and hygiene.
I believe that all of you are far away from the disease and have a bright life in the elderly.